Saturday, 27 March 2010

Meet Kate ...(and book giveaway)

…as in Kate Atkinson. Unfortunately she’s not a friend of mine but I wish she were, as she seems to be to the kind of woman I admire and respect. She’s intelligent, clever, witty, without any false modesty and above she is a writer.


Kate Atkinson is a well known author from York who moved up to Scotland many years ago. She became well known for her book Behind the Scenes at the Museum, a story which follows a few generations of a family living in the centre of town and touches on how it feels like living in a museum when you live in York, but is more a tale about families and their peculiarities. Kate describes the sense of history with great affection in the first pages of the novel:
“Guy Fawkes was born here, Dick Turpin was hung a few streets away and Robinson Crusoe, that other great hero, is also a native son of this city. Who is to say which of these is real and which a fiction?”
But the book that has really conquered my absolute devotion to Kate is her last one “When Will There Be Good News” the third installment of the Jackson Brodie’s detective stories, although you don’t need to have read the previous two ones, Case Histories and One Good Turn, to enjoy the last one.
Last Thursday evening I had the pleasure to attend one of her readings/talks at York St John University, an event of the York Literature Festival. I love going to authors readings and meeting my favourite authors, if only for a few fleeting moments, but this time I was hoping not to be disappointed as I like Kate’s novel o much. Of course I wasn’t.
After reading an excerpt from her still unpublished new novel, which will be out in August, she talked about her beginnings in York and her first steps as a writer, where she gets her ideas from, how she creates her characters, etc. all in her own very wry English humour. She then answered all our questions and ended up with a book signing.

I told her how much I love her writing as, when you read her stories, you don’t want to rush to the end, but you also really appreciate her language, her “nice sentences” as she calls them. Kate’s stories encapsulate her wit and pathos as a writer of fiction, and the joy that she takes in reading it aloud proves her own claim to be a ‘cheerful writer’.

To celebrate Kate, I’m giving away one of her books and because I have already had a giveaway on my friend Maria Grazia’s blog FLY HIGH and I don’t want to repeat myself, I’m offering the winner to choose among these four books that I love:



Behind The Scenes at the Museum, Case Histories, Human Croquet and When Will There Be Good News. Just leave a comment below and the Easter Bunny will pick the winner on Easter Eve.

13 comments:

Maria Grazia said...

You managed to meet MS Atkinsons at last!I've just started the book you gave me as a gift, A.
"Will There Be Any Good News?" sounds rather intriguing. Thank you again!

Steve said...

All my family are huge readers so I'm more than happy to be in for a punt! Count me in!

Jan said...

\I am always on the lookout for a new Author I read so much ,I havent come across this Lady before but thanks to your recomendation I plan to put her on my list ,unless Iwin one of yours of course lol, Hope you are well ,as you will now realise I am easing my way back to blogging ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Don't need to include me I have all her books just wanted to join the Kate Atkinson fan bandwagon, GREAT reads, every one of them.

Kia said...

Ciao Antonella, how nice that you could meet her! :) Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Very generous giveaway, btw! *hug* and happy Sunday!

Sharon said...

Hi there-thats great you had the chance to meet her, what a lovely opportunity and a very generous giveaway too!

Vagabonde said...

I love to read and have a dozen books by my bed, however I do not know this author. Because of your recommendation I shall put her on my reading list and get one of her books.

Hilda said...

Now you've made me want to look for her books. I'm particularly interested in Behind The Scenes at the Museum. I hope they have her in our bookstores or university library! Thanks for the introduction, Antonella.

Michelle (my books. my life.) said...

I've never heard of these books but you've piqued my interest. Count me in for the giveaway. Thanks!

A Modern Mother said...

Thanks, I need to recommend a book this week, you just made my job easy. And how fun to meet one of your favourite authors.

Anonymous said...

Happy Monday, Antonella! :) I looked for these books at the library but could not find them, so... count me in for the giveaway. :) Hugs!

The Small Fabric Of My Life said...

I love author events too - I went to one recently with Sophie Hannah and she was brilliant. Thanks for your comments about my Viva Mayr report. It was hard works but I am still doing well. I hope you do get the opportunity to go as it is a lifechanging experience.
Have a wonderful Easter,
Janex

1 April 2010 16:16

Lainey Laine said...

Brilliant to hear about other authors! I Twittered an author of a book Im reading the other day and he replied. He was so pleased that I enjoyed reading his book! I would so love to write a book! How amazing to see a book you have written in a book shop!! Laine xxxxx